Friday, May 25, 2007

Tears and Smiles

I guess I'll start with the tears....Today was my last day at work. It was a difficult decision to make but one that is best for me and my family. I have never fully recovered from the mono, I have had 17 migraines since I got out of the hospital, was only able to work 4 hours a day and just felt like crap all the time. With support of my family and my boss (my friend) it was decided the best thing to do was for him to let me go so I can recover without the stress of work. I am not sad about leaving the job, I am sad about leaving the people. More specifically, the Duncan family that I have grown to love. My boss, Gary, and his wife Robin have 9 children, 7 of which are still at home and I have been fortunate enough to have a relationship with each of them. Sarah and I had lunch together (she is the oldest girl) and then I took her back to the office. I walked out the door and down the hall to my car with tears streaming down my face. I will miss Sarah's sweet soul and our talks. We could go from goofy to Godly in mere seconds. The harder part came when it was time to tell Gary good-bye. Gary and I have shared a lot. We are more than boss and employee....I consider him a close friend. His support through all of my surgeries, illnesses, kids ailments, etc made being a working mother an easier load to carry. I will be forever grateful for the gift that is the Duncan family and hope that our friendship will not end with my employment ending.

On the mono front, my primary care doc ran several tests to see if we can get to the bottom of what is going on with me; why I still have no appetite, no energy, etc. I see him a week from today and maybe he will have some answers.

On the migraine front, Steven and I decided that 'conventional' treatments were obviously not working and decided to invest in the Botox treatment. It is considered experimental in migraine treatment by our insurance and carried a hefty price tag but we both agreed that my misery was too much and it was worth a shot. So far I have had great results (not to mention my forehead is totally wrinkle free now). Time will tell how well and for how long it lasts.

Isaiah turned 11 on Mothers Day. We decided since Arissa's birthday got so messed up with me being sick and her First Communion that we would combine Isaiah, Arissa and Carol (May 16) as well as Mothers Day and celebrate them all at once. It was a virtual merry-go-round of gifts. We had a great time. Arissa scored the Payton Manning jersey she's been asking for and Isaiah got the new Spiderman 3 bedding set. My kids made me wonderful gifts that melted my heart and Steven sent me a dozen roses.

Just yesterday Arissa learned how to ride a bike. I had tried to teach her before but since we are both so short on patience it didn't work out so well. Of course, Steven taught her in about 15 minutes. If she can master turning and stopping she'll be great. She is terrific at going in a straight line, though.

This weekend is a huge first for Isaiah and Arissa. They are going on their first camping trip. Kathy and friends are camping out and asked them to come along. I was all for it with the understanding that I was not going. No need to worry there, none of the adults wanted me there anyways. Apparently, no one wants to hear "my princess butt whine". Wonder why?? The kids just left about 45 minutes ago and aren't due home until Monday afternoon (barring any unforeseen home sickness). I think they will have a blast and come home with lots to tell.

Thanks for checking in--
The Peas that live in Our Pod

No comments: