Tuesday, February 19, 2008

TMJ Answer....Sort of

Saw the oral surgeon today. The plan is to do 8 weeks of PT while they get the insurance to approve surgery (hoping that the PT helps and that I won't need the surgery). Both jaw joints dislocate when I open and there is very little cartlidge left, especially on the right side. I start PT on Wednesday, though my PT isn't very optomistic. Basically, he knows the seriousness of my issues and knows that PT won't give me the relief I need.

I didn't ask a lot of questions because I knew I would see him again but I did ask the important question....It will be done under general. I was relieved to find out that I wouldn't be aware of what they are doing to me. Below is what I could find on the operation I *think* he said he would be doing. It sounds like what he was talking about.....

For arthroscopic jaw surgery, the surgeon inserts a pencil-thin, lighted tube (arthroscope) into the jaw joint through a small incision in the skin. The arthroscope is connected to a small camera outside the body that transmits a close-up image of the joint to a TV monitor.
The surgeon can insert surgical instruments through the arthroscope to perform surgery on the joint, preventing the need for additional surgical incisions. This technique is used to diagnose and treat
temporomandibular (TM) disorders.
During arthroscopic surgery, the surgeon may:
Remove scar tissue and thickened cartilage.
Reshape parts of the jawbone.
Reposition the disc.
Tighten the joint to limit movement.
Flush (lavage) the joint.
Insert an anti-inflammatory medication.
Procedures are performed under
general anesthesia and usually take 30 minutes or longer depending upon the type of procedure.
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/arthroscopy-for-tm-disorders

See why I want to be knocked out?? The whole 're-shaping the parts of the jawbone' is the part that sounds really really icky.

No comments: