Sunday, August 3, 2008

Church Engine

I have the most fantastic idea EVER!
There should be a 'church engine'.
A search engine much like hotels.com where you pick what you want/don't want/miles you'll travel/type of worship/youth programs/etc.
Click SEARCH....
Watch the hourglass...
and VOILA!!
A comprehensive listing of churches matching your criteria!
Of course, it's not fool-proof and once you get there, much like the choice you made at hotels.com, you figure out it's not really where you need to be but at least it would be a starting point right?

So far, the only definitive worship marked off our list are the peeps that praise God in the nude. Nakey and Jesus isn't even on my worship radar regardless that He knows what I look like without my clothes on...that doesn't mean I want to know what my pew neighbor looks like without his clothes on (by the way, we made this decision from the comfort of our couch and with the expert help of the National Geographic channel. No real live nakey's were viewed in the making of this decision). We were also able to mark off a Chinese religion that had something to do with the Spirit Man running the streets naked (what is it with these people and there issues with clothing?) being chased by tons of men wearing thongs that appeared to be made out of toilet paper, trying to touch him for good luck and damn near killing him in the process. Steven took issue with the toilet paper thong so that religion isn't on the list either.

So, the search continues. At the end of our journey we may very well end up right back where we started (not the church of the holy couch but the church where we are formal members) but we feel the need to explore what else is out there and what is right for our family. Church should be more than a routine and more than just something you do because it's what you've always done...it should be a relationship. I've never had that and I think it's time it changed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

huh? mom

Naomi said...

amen!
love it! you gotta find the place that helps you (and your family) connect... no matter what other people expect or think...
I had a tough time making the transition to "liberal" Cokesbury from ultra conservative christian church but LOVE IT! It is totally what we need and have found our home there.

Anonymous said...

You could pick and choose and start your own. dad

Aunt Carol said...

A year later, you are where I was and still am. I want and need something different. I just don't know what. When you know, you will know............

Anonymous said...

I have just had time to catch up on your blog and saw the church idea!! Love it!! the only member that attends in our family is Jayden. He goes with Nanny when he can the rest of us (Johnnie and I) have NOT found where we fit in. My issue is that church is still a very segregated part of life. I do not want to attend an all black church(I am not Baptist either not my thing!) He does not want an all white chruch(can't blame him)So we are left with very few options and we need a liberal church. Let me know when you find one. I will use you as my search engine!Melissa

Anonymous said...

Hey Anne, Dawn here, we go to West Village on Robertsville and love it. Would love to have you visit. P.S. It was nice to see you today, even for just a minute