Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Election 2008

I'm one of those people that makes it a policy not to discuss politics (and religion) in public forums. The reasons are pretty simple...people are passionate about their beliefs and no matter how much you try to make them see things 'your' way, it just ain't gonna happen. I have friends that are passionate about McCain being the ONLY choice; I have friends that are passionate about Obama being the ONLY choice. I have friends that believe in a god but not necessarily God, and some that live their life by the word of the Bible with no wavering whatsoever. Me? I keep my mouth shut. Some might see it as being a coward or not believing enough in my choice. I see it as a simple lesson in picking your fights. This lesson I learned early, as a new mother, and it has served me well. I will say that I do listen to what each side has to say and to a limited degree, it will factor into my decision on election day. This is only because it seems like everyone but me has infinite amounts of time to spend on the Internet researching everything printed about their candidate (good things) and the opposition (bad things). Basically, I let the ramblings and passion of others give me some jumping off points in my own research and go from there. It would be selfish and irresponsible of me to not vote or to make a choice based on the musings of others so I have to research. As my momma always says, if you don't vote you can't complain. I will say that this is the first election that I've paid much attention to. The first time I was legal to vote was the last time I voted. Am I proud, no. But it's a fact. So this November I will vote..and I will not divulge who I vote for, so don't even ask. I think you should vote, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is a good way to be. that is what i do unless somebody asks what i think then i'll tell them.

dad