Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Really Isaiah? 13? Seriously?

Today my baby turns 13. Me..the mother of a teenager. A teenager, people.



Seems that only yesterday I was hugely pregnant, melting in what had to be the hottest May in the history of ever. I remember thinking that this baby has to actually come out of me. And being scared.to.death. Sure, I knew how to diaper, feed and burp but what about the important things? Like manners and humility and love? I think back 13 years ago to how naive I was. I thought having Isaiah simply made me a mother. What I didn't expect was to be turned into a fierce fighter for this little curly headed guy that could only whimper; to go from lamb to lion in the blink of an eye where he was concerned; to fight like hell for what he needed and be damned who got in my way. I never expected that he would become my friend, my buddy, my fashion advisor, my shopping partner. MY Isaiah. My blue eyed Isaiah.



Isaiah made me a Mommy. He made me grow up. In a lot of ways, we grew up together. We've been through so much. He supported me, in his little 3 year old way, when I made the decision to leave his father. He was always anxious to help and to please. There were few times that you saw me and didn't see Isaiah. He rarely left my side.



And now? He still supports me. He is the first to offer a cold rag when I have a migraine. He rubs my feet after a long day at work. He stands in the kitchen and talks to me while I cook supper. He always, every single day, greets me with 'how was your day?' and he cares about the answer. He loves to help others. He loves babies. He loves his sister. He loves me. Sure, he's your typical boy who has to be reminded to pick up his room and take out the trash. Sure, we butt heads over grades. Yes, we have days that we just can't get along. We figure it out and are better for it.

Happy Birthday, Isaiah.

I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I am living
My baby you will be

1 comment:

iyonwira... said...

i can'r get a job until the sumemr.
and i can always borrow (steal) dads. MWAHAHAHAHAHA