Saturday, September 5, 2009

These Jaws are Made for Lockin'

And that's just what they're doing.


If you will recall here and here I have had surgery to remove part of my jaw bones because my mouth was locking open. It was supposed to have been the end of my jaw problems. A surgery rarely performed but highly successful. It was very tough but seemed to have done what needed to be done.


Until August 14th while in line at White Water. I opened my mouth. And it wouldn't close. So there I stand in a line for a water slide, in a swim suit, surrounded by strangers and my mouth wouldn't close. Tears stung my eyes more out of disappointment and shock than pain. After a few minutes, the familiar CLUNK was heard and felt and my mouth closed. I knew then that I needed to contact my oral surgeon as soon as we got home. I knew that once it locked open, it would continue to lock. And it has happened about 4 times since then, just as recently as 10 minutes ago. Each time it takes me completely off guard and my mind starts racing about what to do if I can't get it shut. Each time I end up getting it to CLUNK shut and the throb starts.


I saw my oral surgeon Thursday who is not only completely perplexed but also feels horrible that I am going through this again. He insisted that he removed the bone, saw it under the microscope for himself and sent it to pathology for confirmation that it was, in fact, what it was supposed to be. He has never heard of someone locking after the surgery I had. He said the bone regenerating is not impossible; unheard of yes, impossible no. He's ordered a CAT scan to see what is going on with the anatomy before going back in. I am to see him one week after he gets the results and the plan of attack for his scalpel.


Just when I think things are going better, the rug gets pulled out from under me. I just have to remember that I am not in control and this is just another chapter in my ongoing story.

No comments: