Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What's Your Function?

As many of you already know, I lost my job several months ago. My days were suddenly wide open. There were days that I hardly got out of bed and wore the same pajamas for days at a time. And showering and make up? Yea, right. Now, some of those times were during my surgery recovery but sadly, most of them were not. I felt totally lost. What was I supposed to do? Look for job...check. Read.....check. Facebook and Twitter...way check.

Then I reread something I had read before, Proverbs 31:10-31. Now while I'm not darning socks or churning butter, I am striving to be better. A better wife to my husband...to put his needs above my own, to stay up late so we can visit when he gets off of work, to prepare dinner earlier so he can have a hot meal before heading out, to pack him a dinner or snack, do as many of the household chores as I can so that he doesn't have to, to take the kids to all of their appointments. See, before I stopped working Steven and I had a very 50/50 responsibility share around here. He never flinched when dinner was cereal; he did just as much (really, probably more) laundry than I; he took kids to dance/church/dentists/orthodontists; he never complained when there was a science experiment growing in the bathrooms and would clean it himself. It wasn't a matter of having a lazy wife...it was a matter of both of us working 40+ hour weeks. It worked for us.

But now? I have a strong feeling that he should only have to work and do what he WANTS to do (basketball, gym, golf) and the housework is my job. I cook at least 5 times a week with the only days I don't cook being the days we clean out the leftovers...I don't remember the last time we had out food for dinner. There is typically a freshly baked goodie available to snack on. The laundry is always caught up and the house is clean. The kids have undivided Mommy time to help with homework. We get everything done and still have time for them to drive over me on MarioKart on the Wii. (And no, volunteering at their school is not next on my list. Hanging with a bunch of middle schoolers would not be beneficial to them or myself.)

Just yesterday I received phone calls asking for my help on a platform I am very passionate about. I was able to accept for both dates and was reminded of another one of my purposes here.

So, I guess I've found my function through the dysfunction of losing my job. I will continue to rock this gig as long as it takes to find gainful employment outside of the home. Then it's back to 50/50 on running the house and some cereal for dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!
Mom