Friday, April 16, 2010

Hidden Gems

I've been on Facebook for over a year. One day I got a friend request from a classmate who had a name I vaguely remembered. She had gotten married and her maiden name wasn't listed but her first name is rather unusual so I had a hunch who it was. I accepted her request and didn't think much else about it. She commented on a few of my status updates; I did the same on hers. It wasn't long before we were private messaging each other. The more we "talked" the more we realized we shared the same likes and dislikes; troubles and triumphs; convictions and opinions. It was amazing how we had gone to school together for years yet were never friends. I couldn't believe this was the same girl from back then. I finally asked her what her maiden name was. And I was shocked. This wonderfully kind, sweet, hysterically funny woman was the same girl I was terrified of all those years ago. A month or so after our online meeting we met for dinner. And we talked for hours and hours. Like we'd known each other our whole lives. We talked about why we were just now finding each other. And I told her that I was scared of her. Come to find out, she was just as intimidated by me as I was of her.

Today we were able to spend hours together, just being silly girls. We did the mani/pedi thing; walked thru shops; laughed; helped each other pick out what we were looking for; and were just US. I'm certain that to those on the outside looking in, we were two friends who do this all the time and have known each other for years. I love that about our friendship. We live four hours away from each other, but you'd never know it. We talk on the phone often. I know her children, husband, and mother like I know my own...though I've only met the husband for a few minutes. She knows all about my children, my husband, my parents and sisters....though she's never met any of them.

The only thing I'm sad about when it comes to her? (Well, besides the fact that she lives so DARN FAR AWAY)..Is that we let stupid, preconceived notions about each other keep us from finding our friendship all those years ago.

I can count on one hand my true friends. She is one of those fingers...my shiny, sparkly, spunky gem.

1 comment:

Caeden and Kai's World said...

And now I am wet eyed, on the brink of snots and boogers, needing to go to sleep. There are but a few relationships I would go back and redo if I could. For example, Peerless and me at UT, my relationship with my cousin who became a teenage mom, etc. Our relationship falls into the "redo" category. I would, in a heartbeat, go back to my first day at FHS during our sophomore year and seek out the pink chick with the "I wish a Mofo would" look on her face. I would then tell her about our destined friendship, and in the last 15 years I would have had someone I'm not blood related to to tell my innermost secrets, thoughts, and wishes without one second fearing I'd be judged. Since I can't go back and "redo" I cherish my pink sister, now. Love you, lady!! Looking forward to next time we do "the hangout!"...