Saturday, March 12, 2011

Botox Baby

After many years of pain, suffering and waiting the FDA finally approved Botox injections for the prevention of migraine headaches (if you'll recall I had Botox several years ago for this same purpose. That time our insurance did not cover it and we paid the entire cost out of pocket. Lots of dollars. Not cheap. At. All.). We (meaning me, Steven, the kids, my family, my friends) were all excited to hear this news. Last time I had the treatment it worked beautifully. I was migraine free for about 3 months and had a significant decrease for a total of 6 months. So the idea of having 6 months of relief was thrilling. So I had a neurologist appointment, then scheduled the Botox, got insurance approval, got the Botox and waited for the relief. And waited. And waited. Ten migraines later I was losing hope that it was going to work at all. I was still having to inject myself almost daily. My quality of life was not improving. I was still losing days to the dark room and my bed. Frustrated and sad I gave up. I decided to at least be grateful that I no longer have forehead wrinkles or crows feet.

In the past few weeks I have noticed a change. I am still getting migraines but much less and not nearly as painful or hard to get rid of. I know I will have to be injected again and the doctor told me it may take several rounds of injections to get really good results. A few weeks ago I would have told you no way am I doing it again. Now? I figure it's worth a shot. Even though the treatment may not leave me completely migraine free, it does seem to be helping and hey..who am I to deny insurance approved wrinkle treatment?

No comments: