Sunday, January 6, 2013

Something to Think About

I recently ran across this article and it struck a chord with me.

The #1 item listed is a phrase I was raised with.  It was often said by my mother, most likely more as a pep-talk to herself dealing with 3 girls and a husband who was out of town working more than he was home.  (I should note that *I* was of no cause for her stress.  It was all my sisters fault.  Me?  I'm the baby and never guilty of anything.  Ever.)

As I got older and life saddled me with a life threatening chronic illness, I tried to lean on the phrase.  It was my mantra for a long time.  Repeated often with every time I got knocked back down.  God doesn't give us more than we can handle.  God doesn't give us more than we can handle.  God doesn't give us more than we can handle.  God doesn't give us more than we can handle.

After a while though, it made me feel like I wasn't supposed to be scared or upset.  That I was supposed to take every punch life threw at me with joy...because it was God showing me I'm strong.  All it did was lead me to resent God.  Because honestly, I didn't want Him thinking I was strong.  I didn't want anymore trials.  I couldn't handle another blow.  I was done.  In more ways then one.

Years later, I learned the truth of this statement.  When I began making my way back to the Lord, a dear friend of mine and I were talking.  She shared with me that it's not God doesn't give us more than we can handle; but that God gives us the strength to get through it.  That He never leaves us.  Her simple words changed my whole outlook on what God is.

God doesn't give cancer because He thinks you are strong enough.  God doesn't cause innocent children to be gunned down in their classroom leaving their parents empty because they "can handle it".  What does God do?  He never leaves your side.  He gives you the strength and courage to wake up every day facing insurmountable odds.  He gives you peace, friends, and His word to carry you through.

My words to those facing crisis (big or small)...I pray for Gods strength to get you through; God will never leave you.  Trust Him.  He will show you the way.

No comments: