Sunday, February 24, 2019

382

Three hundred eighty-two days....I think about the last year and I still can’t believe the ride it's been.  

382 days ago I was fine.  And then I wasn't.  And it was very serious.  Then mere weeks later we got the thyroid eye disease diagnosis.

This back surgery seemed like the ultimate middle finger salute. I had just got amazing news at Vanderbilt and not even 24 hours later, I was (literally and figuratively) knocked back down. But, it forced me to finally truly rest and let my body heal from the hard treatments and harsh medications.  382 days of trying to stay ahead of the next crisis. 

I have fought so hard to get to this place. No short cuts. No magic pills.  

And y’all. I feel so good. It's weird to me how truly good I feel.

I don’t have pain. I’ve been walking over a mile a day to regain my strength. I don’t need naps after a day of normal activity. My eye is better every day. I cut almost 4” off of my hair. I got new glasses. I bought eye makeup for the first time in a year. 

Tomorrow I return to work.

And I can’t wait.

No comments: