Friday, August 31, 2018

Bum Rap

If you knew me you would know I'm just a person, doing the best I can with what I've got, and with what I've been given.  Maybe it's a bum rap, and maybe it is actually the greatest opportunity I've ever been given.  I think it's probably a bit of both.  -Lisa Bonchek Adams


Every day I put one foot in front of the other.
Every day I take the hands full of pills.
Every day I know that there isn't an alternative to this life I have been given.
Every day I look in the mirror, don't recognize who is looking back at me, but put on my makeup, jewelry and try to make myself look as much like me as possible.
Every day I am thankful that I have the resources that I have.
Every day I am grateful that while I have really significant issues, they likely won't take me from this Earth.
Every day I remember that no matter how heavy my load is, there are others who face much worse with dire consequences.

That doesn't mean this is easy.  That doesn't mean I don't struggle.  That doesn't mean it's okay to make pirate jokes or to make comments about my appearance.  This shit is hard enough without feedback from people that have no idea how hard I fight to function every day.  And I don't just function or barely get through each day...I have a very active life that I have to make a conscious decision to participate in.

Some days this whole deal just aches in my heart.
Some days keeping track of everything is too much.
Some days I shed tears over the enormity of all I juggle.
Some days I wish I could wear a sign that with my long list of crap I have to deal with so people will know I have really good reasons to be short tempered or not in a great mood.
Some days I just pray that I'll make it through the day without saying or doing something that I can't take back.

The steroids are wreaking havoc on my body.  The latest development being a diagnosis of  medicine induced diabetes.  I now have to check my blood sugar twice a day.  I now have to modify my already modified diet.  I have to read labels differently, track my foods more accurately, track my macros more carefully.....my brain just doesn't get a break anymore.  I am constantly planning, brain storming, making lists, researching.  It never stops.  Never.  And it's exhausting.

We met with a dietitian, we have a treatment plan and this will eventually be second nature to me just like everything else I've had to adjust to over the years.  But honestly...right now, I'm pretty bitter.  There is hope that once I am done with the steroid treatments my body will chill out and the diabetes will resolve.  I'm also realistic...I know my body.  I know my luck.  I know how this will likely end.  And I know that in all likely hood, this is my new forever.  And I know it's not the end of the world...it's just another big thing on my plate that was already stacked high and wide.

I don't write these words for replies, sympathy or pity.
Sometimes I just need to write my feelings out so they don't fester and consume me.
Sometimes writing and sharing is better than quietly crying while the house sleeps.

Sometimes after I write it all out I look back and think...suck it up, buttercup. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are they bravest woman I know. You are the strongest woman I know. You, Buttercup, suck it up, with more grace than anyone I have ever known. That fire in you is unfathomable. God wastes nothing. Keep fighting, my amazing prizefighter....maybe you don’t see it, but your journey has changed many lives. ��
P.s. Pirate chicks are hot!!!