Sunday, August 19, 2018

Progress!!

A few days ago we were back at Vanderbilt to check on my progress since the IV steroid infusion treatments started. I’ve had four infusions (I have 2 left at the current dose then 6 at a lower dose). 

Both doctors and all of my tests point to significant improvement! The infusions are reducing the inflammation which has shrunk the eye ball back to an almost normal size, moved the eye up for better symmetry, and MOST IMPORTANTLY... the pressure on the optic nerve has been relieved. This was the largest concern since that little nerve makes or breaks your ability to see. I’m a tangible person so while I tend to use what I look like as a guide to what’s going on, it really doesn’t matter if that nerve is still compromised. 

Unfortunately, I remain in a patch. The double vision issue is muscle alignment which can’t be fixed with a prism (actually, it sounded like it could be fixed but it wouldn’t last long since everything is changing so much). Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed. We discussed radiation treatments and/or muscle surgery to fix the double vision but it is something that has to wait. 

The plastic surgeon said she is delaying surgery for 6 months unless something changes. I was very clear to her that we’d prefer surgery to not be an option. I told her that if I looked like this the rest of my life (minus the patch, of course), I could accept that. I was pretty clear that I have no desire for her to remove bones from my face. She said “fair enough”. I was sure to tell her that we have until January to get me as normal as possible because I have zero desire to look like a gargoyle in the wedding photos. She laughed and accepted the challenge. We will go back at the end of September and see where things are...hopefully it will be another appointment filled with good news!  I'm claiming it as fact now!

I met my new hematologist Thursday. We had some really good discussions about this whole situation. His preference is that I remain on blood thinners for the rest of my life. I am not necessarily opposed to that but also don’t want such a complicating factor attached to me forever, either. Lord knows I have enough of those as it is. We compromised with a full pulmonary embolism work up in 6 months to confirm that all of the blood clots are gone and we will reevaluate.  However, I've since seen my pulmonologist as well and she also wants me on blood thinners for the rest of my life.  So, it would appear I am going to lose that battle.  Which, I know is the smart thing to do.  Just kinda sucks ... blood thinners are no joke and really complicate things.  



park bench selfie waiting on them to bring our car 
he's still so sweet and patient with me, even when i don't deserve it

The stress and side effects are starting to catch up to me. My face is rounding out. I didn’t lose any weight this week. I’ve started to cry a lot. I scream at other drivers a lot. I snap at my family. I don’t laugh. My brain never stops. I can’t be pleased. Saturday we moved our girl back to school and I’ve been a mess since. Steven’s class reunion was this past weekend and I sent him alone. I just couldn’t find my “fake it till you make it” mojo. 
This too shall pass
This is only a season
Count your blessings 
It’s not that bad
Praying for those words to settle in my heart and replace the medical misery. I’d appreciate your prayers, too. 

3 comments:

Beth said...

We love you and I'm so glad to read that things are slowly getting better! This too shall pass... unlike the cow/car story that will live forever. :) You've got this lady!

Molly said...

You are stronger than you think, Anne. You can do this!!! We are all praying for you! ❤🙏💪

Anne said...

"You are stronger than you think, Anne. You can do this!!! We are all praying for you! ❤🙏💪"

Who dis? LOL...tell me your name!


And thank you so much Beth! We'll always have the cow story!